Skip to content
- 150g margarine, melted
- 3-4 tsp Sanitarium Marmite
- 1 cup (110g) ground almonds
- 1 cup (125g) plain flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 70g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Grease 12 oval or rectangular friand moulds or a 12 hole muffin pan (one-third cup capacity).
- Melt margarine and the Sanitarium Marmite together, whisking together to blend. Mix together in a large bowl the almond, flour, baking powder, black pepper, feta cheese, walnuts and thyme in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites, with an electric mixer, until stiff with soft peaks. Mix the margarine mix into the dry ingredients, followed by folding in the egg whites, until the mix has just combined and there are no dry pockets of flour.
- Divide the mixture among the prepared pans and sprinkle with a few poppy seeds.
- Bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes. Turn the cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
Saturated Fat (g)
- Substitute walnuts with your choice of nuts.
- Add herbs such as thyme, parsley or basil for extra flavour.
- Serve with extra feta cheese and honey.