At a glance
- Cook time
- Difficulty Easy
- Serves 6 (makes 24)
- 750g (about 3 cups) squash, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 courgette, grated
- 4 spring onions, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 2 tsp Sanitarium Marmite
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ lemon, zest and juice of
- 100g haloumi cheese, diced
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Squeeze the grated squash, carrot and courgette to extract excess moisture and place in a large bowl with the spring onion and parsley.
- Whisk the egg, cornflour, Sanitarium Marmite and pepper together in a small bowl. Add to the vegetables and stir through the diced haloumi cheese, lemon juice and zest.
- Heat a heavy based non-stick frying pan on a low-medium heat, and spray with olive oil. Drop spoonfuls of the mix onto the hot pan, using a spatula to press down on the fritters as they cook. Cook for 7-8 minutes first side, then flip and cook a further 5 minutes. Remove to baking tray. Keep warm in oven while cooking the rest of the mixture in batches.
- Serve warm with salad greens, cherry tomatoes a dollop of lite sour cream or yogurt.
- Any firm root vegetable or pumpkin can be substituted in this recipe.
- Try serving with poached eggs for brunch time meal.
- Haloumi cheese can be changed out for feta cheese.
- If you are gluten free, make sure that you look for cornflour that is labelled gluten free
- Energy-Kilojoules 667
- Energy-Calories 159
- Protein 13
- Fat-Total 6
- Fat-Saturated 3
- Carbohydrate 11
- Carbohydrate-Sugars 7
- Sodium 605
- Potassium 485
- Calcium 152
- Iron 2.1
- Dietary-Fibre 2.6