At a glance
- Cook time
- Difficulty Medium
- Serves 8
- 3 ½ cups (450g) plain white flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 30 grams active dry yeast
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lite soy milk or dairy milk
- 200g natural unsweetened yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbs (50g) margarine, melted
- 2 tbs Marmite™, warmed
- 2 tbs chives, snipped
- 2 tbs poppy seeds (optional)
- Mix together flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Warm milk in a pot on a low heat until it is lukewarm. Reserve 1 tbs of yogurt and add rest to milk and blend thoroughly. Mix the milk, yogurt mixture, egg and margarine into dry ingredients.
- Knead dough with your hands until it is soft and springy. Or, an electric beater with a dough hook or a food processor can also be used.
- Rinse a metal or glass bowl with hot water, dry it and put dough in it. Place in a warm place, until risen to double the original quantity, about 1 hour. ‘Punch down’ the dough and then divide the dough into 8 balls, cover them and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Put an ungreased baking tray into the oven to preheat for about 10 minutes.
- Flatten one of the balls gently between your hands. Lay on floured surface and spread over Marmite™ and sprinkle with chives. Fold over and then shape dough with both hands to make a teardrop shape, pulling at each end.
- Lay each on the baking tray and press it gently to stretch it to about 15-18 cm in length, maintaining the teardrop shape at all times. Make 2-3 similar shapes at a time and brush with reserved yogurt, then sprinkle with the poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed and browned. Serve warm with tomato chutney.
- Naan is traditionally cooked in a special Indian oven called a Tandoor. It is just as easy to cook in the oven on a high heat.
- To punch down dough simply means that when the dough has expanded it needs to be hit with a fist to deflate some of the air, to make it workable.
- The preparation time does not include rising time.
- Energy-Calories 279
- Protein 11
- Fat-Saturated 2
- Carbohydrate-Sugars 2
- Sodium 319
- Potassium 288
- Calcium 89
- Iron 4.2